Build Your Website!
Web Publishing is NC State's all-in-one website hosting and management service.
Web Publishing is a managed WordPress service. Your website and all of the content belongs to you, but it lives in a network of websites centrally managed by OIT. We take care of the software updates, security patches, and other day-to-day maintenance so you don’t have to.
Learn More: Web hosting at NC State
There are multiple options for web hosting available on campus. Here’s a short breakdown of each option and its use cases:
- Web Publishing: Your best option for most public-facing websites. All websites are built using WordPress with support from OIT.
- Student Orgs: Your best option for registered student organizations. Managed by DASA.
- WolfWare: Your best option for course content, including course websites, discussion tools, video hosting, and more. Managed by DELTA.
- cPanel Web Hosting: Your best option for most custom apps, especially non-WordPress applications. You get your hosting space, but you’re responsible for managing your apps yourself.
- Hosted Services: Your best option for applications that won’t work in cPanel, or require Windows Server to run.
Note: OIT’s WordPress Blogs and Hosted WordPress services will be merged into Web Publishing in the coming months.
Learn More: OIT’s Web Publishing vs. UComm’s Web Platform
There’s something called “Web Publishing” and there’s something called “Web Platform”—but which one is right for you?
The answer is: both!
Okay, so we’ll admit this is a little confusing.
NC State Web Publishing is the web hosting and management service provided by the Office of Information Technology. It has three service levels: free, standard, and custom/bulk. The service fees you pay for the standard and custom levels go to OIT.
When you want to…
- Register a new website
- Manage your web hosting for an existing website
- Get support while building your website
… you want Web Publishing.
NC State Web Platform is the suite of tools provided by University Communications to help build NC State-branded websites. It has two tiers: free and premium. The service fees you pay for the premium tier go to UComm.
When you want to…
- Make your website match the NC State brand
- See what visual elements are available for use on your website
- Get help with custom design and content work
… you want the Web Platform.
You can use all of the Web Platform tools on a website hosted through Web Publishing. The free Web Platform tools are included at all service levels in Web Publishing. If you have a separate agreement with UComm to use the premium Web Platform tools, then you can also use those at the custom/bulk service level in Web Publishing.
Here are the possible service combinations:
- Web Publishing: Free + Web Platform: Free
- Web Publishing: Standard + Web Platform: Free
- Web Publishing: Custom/Bulk + Web Platform: Free
- Web Publishing: Custom/Bulk + Web Platform: Premium (requires a separate agreement with UComm)