Standard Service Offering
What's included at the Standard service level?
- Core WordPress Functionality
- WordPress Authoring Tools & Utilities
- Connecting to Other Campus Systems
The Standard service level includes a curated set of plugins and tools that meet the needs of most campus units. Brief descriptions of each type of plugin or tool are included below.
This service offering is reviewed periodically, and plugins frequently requested by websites at the Custom service level may be added to the Standard service level based on use and supportability.
All websites, regardless of service level, benefit from core infrastructure in the Web Publishing service.
- Shibboleth Authentication. Students, faculty, staff, and others affiliated with the university may log into their user accounts with their Unity ID and password.
- Local Accounts. Non-NCSU users may have a local (non-Unity) account that does not require logging in via Shibboleth. Website owners should exercise caution when granting local accounts.
- Security Logging, Monitoring, and Backups. All Web Publishing websites are monitored and maintained by OIT.
Core WordPress Functionality
All websites, regardless of service level, have core WordPress functionality.
- Posts and Pages. Create blog posts and informational pages for your website using the powerful WordPress block editor.
- Media Library. Upload images, PDFs, and other useful files to distribute for download.
- NC State Theme. Create a branded NC State website.
WordPress Authoring Tools & Utilities
Websites at the Standard service level may activate plugins to add the following functionality to WordPress:
- Forms. Build dynamic forms that collect information from users, generate notifications, and start business processes.
- Events. Create events and manage venues.
- Broken Links. Monitor and repair broken links on your website.
- Accessibility. Run automated accessibility checks when publishing and updating content.
- Tables. Build complex data tables.
- LaTeX. Need math? Make math! Use LaTeX typesetting for mathematical expressions.
- Content Protection. Require authentication to view pages based on role (student/faculty/staff) or membership in other groups on campus.
- Redirects. When URLs change, automatically redirect users to an updated page.
- Analytics. Add Google Analytics tracking to collect information from the people who visit your website.
- SEO. Make page-level adjustments to optimize your website for search results.
Connecting to Other Campus Systems
Websites at the Standard service level may activate plugins to connect to other campus systems:
- People. Build people directories populated with information from the campus LDAP service.
- Email. Send form notification emails via your Google generic account.
- Calendars. Display calendar events from the university calendar, public Google calendars, REPORTER, EMS, and more.
- Google Drive. Connect your website’s Media Library to a Google Drive for a generic account or shared drive.
- Newswire. Syndicate your posts for use on other campus websites, and retrieve posts to display on your website.
- ServiceNow Knowledge. Display ServiceNow Knowledge articles to build FAQs and share information from centralized campus resources.